Peer-reviewed journal articles
Submitted or in preparation
B. Antonescu, T. Púčik, and D. M. Schultz, 2019: Hindcasting the first tornado warning in Europe. Weather and Forecasting (in revision).
Marmureanu, L., S. Andrei, B. Antonescu, D. Ene, M. Boldeanu, J. Vasilescu, C. Vitelaru, O. Cadar, E. Levei, and C. Marin: Orange snow - A Saharan dust intrusion over Romania during winter conditions. Submitted to Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (28 May).
Haliuc, A. et al. (including B. Antonescu): Enriching the historical meteorological information using Romanian newspaper reports. Submitted to International Journal of Climatology (4 July).
Chernokulsky, A, M.V. Kurgansky, I. Mokhov, A. Shikhov, I. Azhigov, E. Selezneva, D. Zakharchenko, B. Antonescu, and Thilo Kühne: Tornadoes in Northern Eurasia: from the Middle Age to the Information Era. Submitted to Monthly Weather Review (29 July).
Antonescu, B., D. Ene, M. Boldeanu, S. Andrei, L. Marmureanu, C. Marin, and J. Vasilescu: An Exceptional Case of Freezing Rain in Bucharest (Romania) from a Remote-Sensing Perspective. In preparation for Atmosphere.
Boldeanu, M., D. Ene, B. Antonescu, E. Carstea, and C. Marin: First look at NO2 in Romania using Sentinel-5P. In preparation.
Antonescu, B., H. Ricketts, C. Dearden, D. M. Schultz, and G. Vaughan, 2019: A Climatology of Moist Absolutely Unstable Layers for Europe. Monthly Weather Review. In preparation.
Published or in press
Brooks, H., C.A. Doswell III, X. Zhang, A. Chernokulsky, E. Tochimoto, B. Hanstrum, E. de Lima Nascimento, D.M.L. Sills, B. Antonescu, and B. Barrett, 2019: A Century of Progress in Atmospheric and Related Sciences: Celebrating the American Meteorological Society Centennial." the revised paper titled "A century of progress in severe convective storm research and forecasting. A Century of Progress in Atmospheric and Related Sciences: Celebrating the American Meteorological Society Centennial, Amer. Meteor. Soc. (in press)
24. Púčik, T., C. Castellano, P. Groenemeijer, T. Kühne, A. Rädler, B. Antonescu, and E. Faust: Large hail incidence and its economical and societal impacts across Europe. Submitted to Monthly Weather Review, accepted for publication.
23. Nicolae, V., C. Talianu, S. Andrei, B. Antonescu, D. Ene, D. Nicolae, A. Dandocsi, V. Toader, S. Stefan, T. Savu, and J. Vasilescu: Multi-year Typology of Long-Range transported Aerosols over Europe. Submitted to Atmosphere, accepted for publication.
22. Marin, C.A., L. Marmureanu, C. Radu, A. Dandocsi, C. Stan, F. Toanca, L. Preda, and B. Antonescu: Wintertime Variations of Gaseous Atmospheric Constituents in Bucharest Peri-Urban Area. Submitted to Atmosphere, accepted for publication.
21. Antonescu, B., D.M. Schultz, H.M.A. Ricketts, and D. Ene, 2019: Theories on tornado and waterspout formation in ancient Greece and Rome. Weather, Climate, and Society, submitted Weather, Climate, and Society, https://doi.org/10.1175/WCAS-D-19-0057.1. [AMS]
20. Brâcuș, M, D.M. Schultz, B. Antonescu, C. Dearden, and S. Ștefan, 2019: Origin of Strong Winds in an Explosive Mediterranean Extratropical Cyclone. Monthly Weather Review, accepted for publication.
19. Antonescu, B., Hugo M. A. Ricketts and D. M. Schultz, 2018: 100 Years Later: Reflecting on Alfred Wegener's Contributions to Tornado Research in Europe. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 100, 567–578 [AMS][PDF].
18. Fragkos, K., B. Antonescu, D.M. Giles, E. Ene, M. Boldeanu, G.A. Efstathiou, L. Belegante, and D. Nicolae, : Assessment of the total precipitable water from a sun photometer, microwave radiometer and radiosondes at a continental site in southeastern Europe, Atmos. Meas. Tech., 12, 1979–1997, https://doi.org/10.5194/amt-12-1979-2019, 2019.[AMT][PDF]
17. Cârstea, E., K. Fragkos, N. Siomos, B. Antonescu, and L. Belegante, 2019: Columnar aerosol measurements in a continental southeastern Europe site: Climatology and trends. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-019-02805-z.
16. Nicolae, D., J. Vasilescu, C. Talianu, I. Binietoglou, V. Nicolae, S. Andrei, and B. Antonescu, 2018: A neural network aerosol-typing algorithm based on lidar data. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 18, 14511–14537 [ACP][PDF].
15. Antonescu, B., J. G. Fairman Jr., and D. M. Schultz, 2017: What's the Worst That Could Happen? Re-examining the 24–25 June 1967 Tornado Outbreak over Western Europe. Weather, Climate, and Society, 10, 323–340. [AMS][PDF]
14. Antonescu, B., and F. Cărbunaru, 2017: Cloud-to-Ground Lightning Fatalities in Romania. Weather, Climate, and Society, 10, 241–252. [AMS][PDF]
13. Groenemeijer, P., T. Púčik, A. M. Holzer, B. Antonescu, K. Riemann-Campe, D. M. Schultz, T. Kühne, B. Feuerstein, H. E. Brooks, C. A. Doswell III. H.-J. Koppert, and R. Sausen, 2017: Severe Convective Storms in Europe: Ten Years of Research at the European Severe Storms Laboratory. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 98, 2641–2651. [AMS][PDF] (4)
8. Vaughan, G.,J. Methven, D. Anderson, B. Antonescu, L. Baker, T. P. Baker, S. P. Ballard, K. N. Bower, P. R. A. Brown, J. Chagnon, T. W. Choularton, J. Chylik, P. J. Connolly, P. A. Cook, R. J. Cotton, J. Crosier, C. Dearden, J. R. Dorsey, T. H. A. Frame, M. W. Gallagher, M. Goodliff, S. L. Gray, B. J. Harvey, P. Knippertz, H. W. Lean, D. Li, G. Lloyd, O. Martínez–Alvarado, J. Nicol, J. Norris, E. Öström, J. Owen, D. J. Parker, R. S. Plant, I. A. Renfrew, N. M. Roberts, P. Rosenberg, A. C. Rudd, D. M. Schultz, J. P. Taylor, T. Trzeciak, R. Tubbs, A. K. Vance, P. J. van Leeuwen, A. Wellpott, A. Woolley, 2014: Cloud Banding and Winds in Intense European Cyclones: Results from the DIAMET Project. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 96, 249–265. [AMS][Google Scholar] (19)
6. Antonescu, B., G. Vaughan, and D. M. Schultz, 2013: A five-year radar-based climatology of tropopause folds and deep convection over Wales, United Kingdom. Mon. Wea. Rev., 141, 1693–1707. [AMS] [PDF][Google Scholar] (7)
5. Antonescu, B., S. Burcea, and A. Tanase, 2013: Forecasting the onset of cloud-to-ground lightning using radar and upper-air data in Romania. Int. J. Climatol., 33, 1579–1584. [Abstract][Google Scholar] (3)
4. Burcea, S., S. Cheval, A. Dumitrescu, B. Antonescu, A. Bell, and T. Breza, 2012: Comparison between radar estimated rain gauge measured precipitation in the Moldavian Plateau. Environ. Eng. Manag. J., 4, 723–731. [Abstract][Google Scholar] (2)
3. Antonescu, B., and S. Stefan, 2011: The urban effect on the cloud-to-ground lightning activity in the Bucharest area. Romanian Reports in Physics, 63, 535–542. [PDF] (1)
1. Zoccatelli, D., M. Borga, F. Zanon, B. Antonescu, and G. Stancalie, 2010: Which rainfall spatial information for flash flood response modelling? A numerical investigation based on data from the Carpathian range, Romania. J. Hydrol., 394, 148–161. [Abstract][Google Scholar] (42)